Pages

Thursday 15 March 2012

George Lois

While looking at the creative revolution and Bill Bernbach I came across George Lois who worked at Doyle Dane Bernbach during the creative revolution. I went on to explore this guy further. (There was alot.)

'Every industry has it's stars and in the world of advertising George Lois is a super nova, the orginal Mr Big. Since the 50's he's had a titanic influence on world culture.' Buissness Week.

George Lois was born in New York on June 26th 1931. He began his career in advertising after he returned from his stint in the war. CBS was where he began in the advertising and promotion department desiging print and media projects. In 1959 he was hired by Doyle Dane Bernbach, where he stayed for one year.
Chemstrands leotards ad is one George Lois created while he was at Doyle Dane Bernbach. This advert by George Lois was the first peice of work I saw by him. It intruged me to look at him further because I just fell in love with the concept. It was created during his time at Doyle Dane Bernbach. I loved the the simplicity of the layout and the humour which makes the reader the laugh, this causes the advert to be memorable.

Pushing Through A Naughty Ad When The Boss Is Out Of Town
"Chemstrand Nylons was stuck with a huge inventory of leotards. A double page ad was needed to run the next day in Women’s Wear Daily. I got the idea, wrote the copy, had the photo taken, designed the spread and made the deadline. The ad ran and orders for leotards poured in- Chemstrand’s most successful trade ad ever. Only one snag: Bill Bernbach was out of town, and when he got back and saw my ad, though he loved my work, he hated the ad. (The great man had a lousy sense of humour) When I respectfully told my boss he was a prude, he blinked. And when he got a congratulatory call from the CEO of Chemstrand, he beamed. So here’s my advice gang. Get your risqué ads to the newspaper when your boss is out of town." George Lois
I loved this piece of advice from Lois, not that I think you'd get away with running an ad without the bosses premision these day but the principle that sometimes risque is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment