Pages

Tuesday 13 March 2012

Simple But Different Still works.

The idea of simple but different is a principle which I have found so influential on my work. I always tended to make my ideas more complicated in the subconcious illusion that complexitiy means you have achieved a good piece of design however from this lecture I have realised that simple but different is a great piece of design and it is in fact to harder to execute something that is simple brilliantly. From discovering this I have and will try to strip my ideas down to the simplest idea, am I telling the viewer the obvious, is this funny, is this this like all the other adverts out there and most importantly is this memorable, if I saw the ad would I tell someone else about. By asking myself these question I think I am on the road to being able to execute a good maybe one day great idea.
Some examples of simple but different ideas I have found or seen are posted below.
  • The Durex Dog Viral Ad
The advert for Durex condoms produced in 2009 by Fitzerald + Co is a viral advertisement. I just loved it when I saw it. What I think makes the Durex idea simple but different is the approach. Most condom adverts you would associate with people in bed or people with babies and this is usually what ads on the telly for condoms are usually like. They are sometimes boring as the subject is quite serious. However Durex's use of condoms blown up and shaped like balloon dogs is a very different idea and stands out from other condom ads. Because it is so funny about a subject that is either serious or embarrassing it is very memorable, I know I couldn't stop laughing about it when I first saw it and I'm always telling people about it, which in my eyes is the sign of a good ad.


  • The Compare The Market Ad
The Compare the market advert is probably one of the more obvious displays of simple but different. The brand viechle of Alexander meerkat is one that the viewers seemed to fall in love with, all of a sudden something which is normally viewed as very boring and faceless, insurance, was funny and cute and someone the viewer connected this. This humour and approach combined with a wonderful execution of the idea made this advert famous.

No comments:

Post a Comment